Wednesday, July 11, 2012

5 Habits of Higly Effective Bloggers

In the 3 ½ years I’ve been blogging, I’ve developed some strong opinions about what makes an effective blog. Here are the reasons I keep coming back to your blog, and ways you can build your blog readership:
      1.      Your posts interest me. Whether you share ways to improve my writing, what’s going on in your family, or a quirky hobby of yours, I read blogs that keep my interest. If you talk about sports, the latest TV show, or pop culture, I yawn and go to the next blog.

2.      You keep your posts short. Because I read as many blogs as I can squeeze into an hour a day, I tend to skim posts that are longer than five paragraphs. If you want to keep me coming back, share your wisdom in 500 words or less.

3.      You’ve proven you care about me as a person, not simply a number on your stats. You’ve responded to my comments on your blog, whether posting on the blog itself or through email. You’ve friended me on Facebook and Twitter, purchased Two Scoops of Grace, rejoiced at my victories and cried with me over my sorrows. Because of your genuine concern, I am committed to you.

4.      You share my values. I love God and His son, Jesus Christ. He is the center of my heart. When I see Him reflected in your posts, even if they aren’t overtly Christian, I know I’ve found a kindred spirit.

5.      I learn from you. When I read a post that helps me grow- as a writer, a wife, a friend, a mom, or a Believer, I will be back. I love it when I’m challenged to change my thinking and my ways. If you manage to do that, you’ve won my support.
Did I miss any? What keeps you coming back to the same blogs?

P.S. Today is the last day to enter my contest for a $5 gift card and a trophy for the Most Ditzy Doing! Please join the fun...

24 comments:

  1. Amen and amen to your list Jeanette! I won't dare to add or subtract anything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marja. I appreciate you coming over today.

      Delete
  2. I think you covered it all, Jen! Good post, thanks for sharing. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. You have a great week, too!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like time to insert a 'ditto' here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another ditto here. I'm not a blogger, but the things you list are what take me back to certain blogs, including yours:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb. I like your daughter's blog, full of photos of your sweet grandson!

      Delete
  5. I agree with all those points. One other reason I come back to your blog is that I love your sense of humour! Keep the chuckles coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda--that makes my day. One of my goals in life is to make the world funnier.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you, though I have to say I don't have to share someone's values to read their blog. I love it and get a lot from those posts, but it isn't make or break it for me.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point there, Wendy. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  7. Pretty much interest and relationship. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I come back if it's a good read - If it makes me laugh, if I learn something new, if I just like what the person has to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Loree, I like to learn new things, too.

      Delete
  9. Good sense of humor is a big one for me, along with several of your points. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wosushi! I think people with no sense of humor are poor indeed.

      Delete
  10. Hi Jen -

    How funny! I have a similar post scheduled for this month, but I deal mostly with the length of the entries.

    Thanks for your thoughts. I always come back here because I NEVER yawn. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, that's a great compliment, Susan! I never yawn on your blog, either. You find the most interesting topics to analogize, and tons of intriguing people to interview!

      Grace,
      Jen

      Delete
  11. Amen, totally agree with your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise. It's pleasant to have friends who agree with my lists!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for these reminders Jen! Each one is important! Appreciate you and your ministry - God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Jen:

    I tend to visit blogs that teach me or entertain me. Some--like yours!--do both. ;-)

    I also consider responding to commentators to be important. If I comment routinely on a blog where the blogger neglects to acknowledge me in any way over a period of time, I will break that routine with that particular blog. There are too many other sites to jump to where readers are not taken for granted, right?

    Have a fabu week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.