Thursday, July 19, 2012

Looking for Unique Book Marketing Ideas? Here are 10


Whether you have yet to publish your first book or have already published twenty, you’re on the lookout for some original marketing ideas. Here are ten inspirations that worked for me, and might help you, too:
1.      On a very hot 4th of July, our city band performed at the park. I bought bottles of water and attached stickers I’d printed with my book’s title and my website address, and gave them away. The perspiring audience members were grateful, and I advertised my book. 

2.      When I send a card or check, or mail a book to a reviewer, I don’t only put my standard address label on it—I also attach a label with my book’s title and my website address. 

3.      Because my book has the word Chuckles in it, I bought cases of Chuckles candies and attached stickers with the book’s title on it, then gave them as prizes on my Facebook page, when I spoke, and for other contests.  

4.      I made a brochure with a chapter from my book that lent itself to a gospel message, then turned it into a tract. I give them to waitresses, checkers at stores, and other service people, asking them if they’d like to read a story I wrote. I’ve given out hundreds, and no one has yet refused to take one. Not only do I advertise my book;I’m winning people to Jesus.  

      5.      Since my book has an ice cream theme, I scheduled book signings at local ice cream stores and bought gift certificates for free ice cream cones with every book purchase. The owners of the stores were happy to sell me the gc’s at their cost. I put a free ad in the “Community” page of the newspaper to advertise it beforehand.   

      6.      I placed my book on consignment at a local Bed and Breakfast and made a sign saying, Local Author and Speaker Jeanette Levellie. Tourists who need something to read for the night will purchase my book.  

      7.      Since I’m also a speaker, I wrote a message with the same title as my book. No one seems to mind when I say, “My message today is Two Scoops of Grace with Chuckles on Top—oh my goodness, it’s the same title as my book, which is for sale at the back of the room after the program!”

8.      I keep copies of my book in my car and on the counter at the office supply store I manage. I don’t push or cajole, but when someone notices it, I asked politely, “Would you like to buy a copy?” About 90% say "yes!" 

9.      I give away books as the Lord prompts me. I believe God honors a generous giver, so I plant these gifts as seeds that my sales will increase, and to bless people with the message of grace. 

10.  I help other writers promote their books. If everyone practiced this, no one would need to toot their own horn, and we’d all have bestsellers! 

Of course, your book has its own theme, so won’t lend itself to all the methods I’ve used. But if you dare to get a little crazy, you can find your own unique ways to market your idea and sell more books!
What is the theme of your latest book?  How can you incorporate that theme into your marketing plan?

19 comments:

  1. Good suggestions Jeanette. I think you are leaving a trail of happiness with free candy and books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Slamdunk! Leaving a trail of happiness is a great compliment!

      Delete
  2. These are wonderful tips, Jeanette. Storing this info away for future reference. :) Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. Someday you'll be able to use them when you publish your books!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you can tell you put a lot of thought into this ideas. Love every single one of them!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff!

    My heroine has a flower name. I've already started with that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are excellent marketing techniques, Jen! Very creative and sounds like they've been very successful, too. Thanks for sharing these tips. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. You are a great cheerleader!

      Delete
  6. I think you've got some great ideas, Jen. Really. You do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so creative!!! :-) I can't even think how I'd market my book. Maybe give away a cowboy? *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful suggestions! Like you suggested, a key is to focus on something relating TO your book and come up with creative ways to market with that. My book has a princess theme, and I had a lot of fun with my book launch celebration. Currently trying to come up with move creative princessy ways to sell my book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so clever. What great ideas. I love #1 and 4 best, but they are all great. Hope you sell a lot of books and your message gets out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Creative marketing ideas, Jen. As a winner of one of your contests and recipient of a pack of Chuckles candy, I will tell you that added touch did endear me further to the book and its author. ;-)

    Smooches...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, very creative ideas. Edward Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness these are truly unique and thought provoking ideas! I have a children's book coming out soon and was looking for something different. Thanks for all the ideas...Yours are some of the best I've seen!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.