Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Naked Nails and a Pink Shoe Winner


 
My fingernails will be naked and short when I attend the Indy Christian Writers Conference this weekend. Why?

Because I did a dumb thing last summer when I attended the Greater Philadelphia Christian Writers Conference. I bought fake nails. Normally, I keep my nails fairly short and don’t polish them—it takes time I’d rather spend writing, reading, or playing Mexican Train dominoes with my honey. But I thought since I was pitching two books and meeting many people I wanted to impress, I should look professional and classy.

Stupid move.

While thumbing through my portfolio to grab a sample article, a business card, or a speaking brochure, those bulky nails got in the way and made me look more like a clown that a class act. I was embarrassed, but couldn’t take time from my fifteen-minute sessions with editors to say, “Hold on while I rip these nails off.”
Thus, I'm opting for naked nails whenever I attend a writers conference from now on.

On a differenct topic, the winner of the Pink Ribbon Shoe tape dispenser is… SUSAN REINHARDT! Congratulations, Susan!

Thanks to all who entered the contest; by this small purchase, we may be helping find a cure for someone we love who has breast cancer. And that makes my day.

I will be unplugged for the next week to prepare for and attend the Indy Christian Writers Conference.

Do you like your nails naked and short or painted and long?

Have you attended any conferences this year?

 

19 comments:

  1. You are so funny! I wore fake nails only once--to my daughter's wedding since I bite my nails and they always look awful. But they did feel weird and so not me. enjoy your conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! I like you just the way you are.

      Delete
  2. I like the look of polished nails, but I can never keep the polish on long enough to make it worth my time putting it on, and I'll use my money for something other than having my nails done professionally. I've often wondered how a person types or does anything with long nails. I'm sure your nails look just fine naked.

    I'll miss you while you're unplugged. Enjoy your time in Indy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb: You can get extra hard nail polish, I think. But I believe my polish days are over. If they buy my writing only because my nails are pretty, I don't want that!

      Delete
  3. Congrats to Susan! I am sure this will look cute sitting on her desk. :) Have a great time at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think Susan will like it, too, Karen.

      Delete
  4. I love acrylic nails, and wear them often. I've gotten used to the awkwardness of them, although it did take a bit. I've attended a couple of really great Christian women's conferences this year, as well. Have fun in Indy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're talking about naked nails and I'm talking about naked eyes on my blog today. Too funny! :D
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny, Wendy! That must be the word of the week!

      Delete
  6. Congrats to Susan. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise. I need the prayer! You are so sweet.

      Delete
  7. Oh Jeanette!

    I used to be a long and polished kinda gal but 6 kids and a busy house hold have me with moderate length and pale polish if any, because it peels so fast!

    Love this story!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Love that cute tape dispenser! Thank you, Jen.

    My nails are long, but unpolished. I love a professional manicure for special occasions, but the polish makes my nails break.


    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute panda nails! :) My nails are always naked and short.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And now I'm waiting to hear about your weekend at the conference. You came to mind different times, so I prayed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand what you went through! I guess God wants us to be ourselves right down to our nails! I bit my nails for years, and do still have a problem with my right thumb--since I do not bite the others, it takes a beating. I have had fake nails, and they do look pretty, but do cause me to stumble!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my nails as long as they will grow until one breaks. Then I cut them to match. I love clear nail polish and fix them each week. It just makes me happy to have shiny nails. If I do get a manicure (rarely), I like a very dark plumish red. On trips, I stick to clear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrtulations to Susan;
    I tried to wear them. I even bought a supply of them. I had trouble with them because the glue wouldn't allow them to adhere. This was a DIY project. My friend's hair salon has a nail technician there but I don't want to get into something I can't afford to keep up.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.