Tuesday, July 1, 2014

In Jesus, We Are All Winners





Chosen Last, again?
 
As I child, I disliked games in P.E. where the teacher would choose two team captains, then the captains chose their teams one by one. I was not the most athletic kid, but I was friendly, so I usually got chosen somewhere in the middle of the lot.

My heart ached for the kids chosen last because they were either clumsy or unpopular. And they must have fel the sting of that unspoken label of loser.

My husband, now in his sixties, still talks about being chosen last at games of this sort when he was a kid. Yet he is one of the most compassionate, romantic, kind men I know. I often tell him that he reminds me more of Jesus than anyone I've ever known.

So raspberries to those children--now also in their sixties--who chose little Kevin last. God made him a winner!

In Jesus, we are all winners. He's the team captain who chooses everyone for His side. And those who come running when He calls are approved, valuable, and capable. He has a magnificent way of turning losers into winners. I love that about Him.

Speaking of Winners, the winner of Family on the Range by Jessica Nelson is my blogging buddy Ceil, for her lovely answer about second chances: "I believe in second chances because sometimes, being faced with new ideas or demands, I just freeze up. It's overwhelming, and I either can't move, or I think of all the reasons it won't work. After a while, I warm to the idea! Thank God he knows that about me! What a patient and understanding God we have."

Amen to that, Ceil! Thanks to all who entered the contest, and please come back for more giveaways this year.

Did you have to play the chooser/loser game as a child? What aspect of God's love most makes you feel like a winner?

5 comments:

  1. I was one of the last chosen, as well...I didn't win many contests and I didn't excel at a lot of things I tried. Yet, I learned to try harder. I do wonder if this society of "every child's a winner" is creating young people who expect things to be handed to them in life. Actually, studies have shown it already is... Maybe by losing, we became stronger and better for it. Adversity either weakens us or makes us stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a powerful comment for your husband. I am sure it leaves him speechless. I was always athletic, but undersized in elementary school so I was typically taken near the bottom when around strangers. I always had the mentality that it did not matter where I was picked as I was going to help my team win and then get the last laugh.

    Anyway, congrats to Ceil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was chosen last. That could be why I don't really go in for team sports. I was clumsy and not exactly popular, either.

    Congratulations to Ceil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The deflating experience of 'being on the bench'. An uneven number of players, the odd one left gets to sit on the bench as 'spare' ! Hmmmmm, wow I even recollect that feeling. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeanette! I am looking forward to reading that book, and thank you for the opportunity to enter the contest.
    Love the 'raspberries' line. So gentle a rebuke, but says it all. I wasn't popular, but I was athletic, so I guess that saved me from being dead last. But who doesn't remember feeling all clenched up waiting for the choices? Man, childhood isn't all Freeze Pops and hugs, is it?
    Hope you had a good 4th!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.