Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My Favorite Color (NOT what you think)


My friend, Marty’s four-year-old son, Abel badly injured his thumb in their van door. The mending process required several painful stitches. Through the tears,  Abel held up his thumb and said, "Look—it’s my favorite color-red!" Making that discovery  got his mind off the pain.
     I marveled at his positive attitude. Abel found something to be happy about in the midst of a traumatic experience. Without realizing it, he was following the example of the Apostle Paul, who was thankful that his imprisonment was furthering the Gospel. And, Abel was serving as an example to me of a godly outlook, even though he is forty years younger than I!
 
 

v  How often do I complain that "I have nothing to wear" when  my closet is stuffed with clothes?   

v  When my husband makes a mess, do I gripe at him, or am I thankful I have a husband? 

v  Am I guilty of grumbling about the price of gas, or grateful to have a way to get around town besides my feet?
 
            I Thessalonians 5: 16-18 says, “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” This doesn’t mean God makes our lousy circumstances. That’s the devil’s job. But if we’ll decide to thank Him for the ‘favorite colors’ all around us, it will ease our pain. Our trust in Him will move His great big hand to rescue us and mend our hurts, no matter how serious.

              May I always remember this little guy’s powerfully big attitude, and follow his godly example of finding good in tough situations. Thank you, Abel, for teaching me gratefulness.
 
Do you try to find "your favorite color" in the midst of painful circumstances? Is there a special little person in your life who exemplifies a positive attitude? Do tell.

           

2 comments:

  1. Living with an attitude of gratitude isn't always easy, but thanks for your challenge to me to find my "favorite color."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique way to look at a painful situation! A young friend would declare she was "making a memory" when life happened.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.