Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Cats: Love 'em or Hate 'em?

Whiskery Wisdom

Cats: most people either hate or love them. The haters contend that felines ruin furniture, kill song birds, and consider people their slaves. The lovers argue that cats control rodents, relieve stress, and cover up their poops.
I find my “spoiled brats in fur suits” brimming with wisdom. Here are some insights I’ve learned from the devilish angels:
  • If you fight with the family cats, you won’t have energy left to ward off enemy cats.
  • It’s okay to have whiskers and pointy ears.
  • Look for a patch of sunshine and stay there.
  • Naps are cool.
  • Don’t fuss about your food, or the one who feeds you may start buying a cheaper brand.
  • Purring will get you everywhere.
  • Master the “Shocked and Innocent Look” if someone laughs at you. Better yet, stick your nose in the air and saunter away, pretending you don’t care.
  • Naps are fun.
  • Act as if you know what you’re doing even if you don’t have a clue.
  • Convince those around you how blessed they are to live in the same universe with you.
  • Refuse to give up. If one bird escapes, climb another tree.
  • Naps are refreshing.
Similar to cats, people are a mix of aggravating and endearing qualities. When I’m tempted to dismiss a brother or sister as too ornery to tolerate, I remember how God bears with my faults and stupid mistakes. Receiving His unconditional love frees me to love myself and others, focusing on positive qualities.  
Now if I could convince my husband to see the good in our kitties…


 The above is an excerpt from my book The Heart of Humor: Sixty Helpings of Hilarity to Nourish Your Soul. Please join me today on Susan Reinhardt's blog, Christian Writer/ Reader Connection http://www.susanjreinhardt.com/2015/09/interview-and-giveaway-jeanette-levellie.htmlfor an opportunity to win an autographed copy!

10 comments:

  1. I love cats!!! Wish I could have one again. Congrats on your other new book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Similar to cats, people are a mix of aggravating and endearing qualities."

    Hahah! This made me laugh. We are all cats in our own way, I suppose!

    I am severely allergic to them. Can't breathe. Lose my voice. Snot like you wouldn't believe. Sorry to overshare. But I don't hate them. I just want someone very far away to love them all and take them home! That's no so bad, is it?

    I love your blog title, by the way. Hope splashes, life's puddles...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll let you love your kitties. I'll love our dog. :) He has taught me as well that naps are good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat message. I had some bad luck with cats, Then I married into a family that actually don't like cats. Hubby is a dog person. I grew up being afraid of dogs. He came home one day, about 10 months after we were married, to tell me we were getting a dog. His sister had some friends who wanted to find a home for a puppy. That same sister emphasized her dislike of cats--until someone gave her one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Act as if you know what you are doing even if you don't. I love that! I miss my cat, but hesitate to get another 'cause he had the perfect personality for our household.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As much as I hate cats, I loved your post. I think it's the aloofness and arrogance that annoys me with cats--and people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jeanette, What a great post. It sure gave me a smile. I am a dog lover mostly, but respect those that raise and care for their beloved cats too. I also wanted to mention, I received the giveaway book and so enjoying it very much. Your feature story was so wonderful and my heart was breaking as I was reading about your beloved cat and rejoiced when a full recovery was made!! Beautiful story of hope and answer to prayers for our fur babies. Still reading and so enjoying the book each evening. Thanks again for the giveaway.
    Wishing you a wonderful evening and great rest of the week.
    Hugs and Blessings, cm

    ReplyDelete
  8. We can learn a lot from cats, can't we? :) I had a cat when I was a kid; his name was Boots. He was black with white feet (looked like white boots). I was so original with the name, wasn't I? Lol What can I say? I was about 8 years old.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though I've read this in your book, it still makes me chuckle. I had two cats years ago: Sarah and Abraham. Catchy, huh? He was laid back and rarely rocked the household boat. Sarah was another story. If there was mischief afoot, you could be sure Miss Sarah was in the vicinity.

    I'm going to link to this post on a future Friday. I think writers and readers will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.