Tuesday, February 7, 2017

How to Manage Your Anger by Letting Go


Everyone has it, from the time they're forced out of their cozy, warm home of the womb into a fierce, unfriendly world. I'm referring to anger, a very natural emotion, built into us by the Creator for special purposes.  

How we manage our anger is a key to our emotional health and freedom from frustration. Please don’t ask me how I know this.   


In Every Woman’s Guide to ManagingAnger (Revell, 2009), authors Gregory Lanz, PhD and Ann McMurray suggest letting go of unrealistic expectations as a way to manage anger. Their insights helped me so much, I wanted to share a portion of the Letting Go list with you.  
TO LET GO .  .   . 

©      Isn’t to cut myself off; it’s the realization that I can’t control another. 

©      Is to admit powerlessness, which means the outcome is not in my hands. 

©      Is not to fix, but to be supportive. 

©      Is not to be in the middle arranging all of the outcomes but to allow others to affect their own destinies. 
©      Isn’t to nag, scold, or argue, but instead to search out my own shortcoming and correct them. 

©      Isn’t to adjust everything to my desires, but to take each day as it comes, and cherish myself in it.  

©      Is to fear less and love more.  

Are there people, situations, and outcomes you need to let go of, to manage your anger in a healthier way?  

What other methods have you found helpful in managing your anger?

1 comment:

  1. Jeanette: This is a good message for me to hear. I sometimes get angry at the most insignificant things. But then, it's because I sometimes have 'tunnel vision.' I an working on it. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.