Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Chatterbox or Communicator?

When I was a child, my mom often called me a "chatterbox." It was not meant as a compliment.
 
I grew up believing I talked way too much. When you believe something about yourself, whether it's true or not, you make it happen. So, I talked too much. Sometimes I still do.
 
As an adult, however, I discovered my gift: communication. Now we know where the source of my desire to talk, sing, teach and write all those words, originated from: the Giver of all good gifts.
 
I have found there is a difference between chattering--- just talking to fill up empty space that you feel uncomfortable with--- and communicating.
 
When I say or write something that lifts another out of a deep well of despair or tweaks erroneous
thinking about the Father, I am communicating His heart of love and goodness. This is my passion, to reflect Jesus more accurately to you than you saw Him a moment ago.
 
I often ask the Lord to keep a watch at the door of my mouth, so I don't chatter. I want my words to count for eternity. To lift up and build and reveal His goodness and wisdom. To nourish a soul or a million souls. To pass on His heart that spills over with love for you. Even just to make you laugh, so you'll be healthier. 
 
If you want to call me a chatterbox, that's your choice. I prefer communicator. Most times our worst faults, when turned inside out, become our greatest assets. 

Were you made fun of as a child for anything? Have you found that very thing to be an advantage?

2 comments:

  1. As I have learned, I used to talk just to be talking. Now, I find I prefer to say something important,something that adds to the conversation. You see, God gave me a brain and two ears to use for His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanette! Of course I was made fun of as a child, but I don't think I saw much of an advantage in it then. Now, I think living through that made me much more compassionate. I love to hear people's stories, their lives, their faith. I trace it back to that.
    Thursday blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.