Saturday, April 11, 2009

Chattering



When I was a child, my mom often called me a "chatterbox." It was not meant as a compliment.
I grew up believing I talked way too much. When you believe something about yourself, whether it's true or not, you make it happen. So, I talked too much. Sometimes I still do.
As an adult, however, I discovered my gift: communication! Now we know where the source of my desire to talk, sing, teach and write all those words, originated from: the Giver of all good gifts.
I have found there is a difference between chattering--- just talking to fill up empty space that you feel uncomfortable with--- and communicating.
When I say or write something that lifts another out of a deep well of despair or tweaks erroneous thinking about the Father, I am communicating His heart of love and goodness. This is my passion, to reflect Jesus more accurately to you than you saw Him a moment ago.
I often ask the Lord to keep a watch at the door of my mouth, so I don't chatter. I want my words to count for eternity. To lift up and build and reveal His goodness and wisdom. To nourish a soul or a million souls. To pass on His heart that spills over with love for you. Even just to make you laugh, so you'll be healthier. This is communicating my Lord to you.
Jeanette

4 comments:

  1. This is such a touching post for me because my mom was often told that too when she was growing up. Once someone told me I was talking too much and I cried. My mom came up and shared with me about when she was a little girl and how she talked a lot too. I don't really talk alot but I've felt her hurt.
    I'm going to send this link to her.
    You know what else?
    The heroine in my first manuscript is a chatterbox. I love her. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jessie. I would be honored for you to send this to your mom!
    Isn't it sad how the gifts God gives us are often mocked by the enemy, so as to disable us from going forward in them?
    The truth will set us free, though! I can't wait to read your book with the chatty character!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeanette, I'm Jessie's mom. Thank you so much for sharing. I understand how you felt. I was often hurt as a child knowing my comments were unimportant or unwanted (and my thoughts). I was often told to be quiet. It's wonderful to know that God has a purpose for our gifts.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Denise. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, it's comforting to know all our gifts have a purpose. I'm still trying to figure out why God made slugs, though! Yecchhh!
    Blessings, Jen

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.