Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Why I Feel Sorry for Modern Kids


I feel sorry for modern kids. Or should I say kydz? Today’s parents either don’t know how to spell, or they’re trying to be cute.
Not long ago, David was always D-A-V-I-D. Little Davey didn’t need to spell his name to the librarian, his Sunday school teacher, or the softball coach. Now he totes flashcards and wears a name tag day and night. It might be Dayvid, Davidde, or Daivihd. Same with a perfectly decent name like Mary. Her flashcards could read anything from Mahree to Mayrie to Mairey.
I cringe to think where this generation of creative spellers is leading us. Imagine a family singing together on a road trip. Sister starts, “There was a farmer had a dog and Bingo was his name-o, B-I-N-G-O...”
Brother interrupts, “That’s not right. Kevin has a dog named Bingo and they spell it B-E-E-N-G-O-U-G-H.” Family bonding takes a huge step backwards.
Or what about Sunday school songs? The leader steps to the podium and charges into, “The B-I-B-L-E, yes that’s the book for me…” when a redheaded girl in the front row corrects him.
“We don’t spell it that way anymore,” she says. “We use the new spelling: B-Y-E-B-I-L-L.” He stumbles off the stage, his hopes for a shining career as a song leader dashed.
I know, I know. Embrace progress, move forward, don’t dwell on the past, change is good, etc. I agree. But please don’t tell me I’m going to turn on the T.V. one day and hear “M-I-K-K-E-E  M-O-W-H-S!”  
 (Drawings copyright Ron Levellie)
Do you have an unusual name? How about your kids?  
The above story is a chapter from my second book published by Elk Lake Publishing,  
 

3 comments:

  1. Hehehe...

    I am not sure I can complain about this. I changed the spelling of my name when I was in the 6th grade because Little Orphan Annie's dog was named Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi: What you did is vasty different, since you only changed one letter of your name! In this tongue-in-cheek story, I was referring to names that a person MUST spell, or no one knows what on earth it is! Your moniker is cute and perky, and your reason for changing it was valid. --Grace, Jen

      Delete
  2. When I give my name to someone over the phone or at a business. The first words I hear is, "How do you spell it?" Or "Would you it for me?" I was born in a Catholic hospital. My mother asked a nun how to spell it. The nun told her there were two ways. C-e-c i-l-i-a, if a family was of the Roman Catholic faith or C-e-c-e-l-i-a, if a family was not of the Catholic faith. My mother was raised Presbyterian.




    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.