Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Furry Love


 
 
Some dancers dream of tripping across the stage with a star. Others long to pirouette with a nutcracker/soldier dressed in tights. I’ll stick with my pets, thank you very much.

Rocky always lets me lead when we’re tangoing or cha-chaing across the kitchen floor. He rarely questions the music I chose. Even if I say things like, “Dig that rockin’ beat,” or “Get down with your furry self, dude,” he doesn’t laugh.
 
 

Once when “A Place in the Choir” by Celtic Thunder came on, I woke him from his sixth nap of the day to dance. He barely growled as I scooped him up and whisked him around the room. Now that’s a saint.

My husband, Kevin, did not grow up with pets. He doesn’t understand furry love. When I talk baby talk in my high-pitched, nasal voice to one of my children in fur suits, he rolls his eyes and leaves the room. He has no idea how my serotonin levels increase when Rocky jumps in my lap and drools on my arm or Pokey bites my toes through the blankets.
 

I am convinced that God gave us pets to help us practice serving each other in the Body of Christ. Nothing says dying to the flesh like cleaning out a litter box or following a pooch with a scooper.

So…shall I let Kevin in on the fun and spiritual growth by visiting the animal shelter on his next birthday and picking out a Fido or a Fifi for him to dance with?
 
Do you dance with your pet?

 

4 comments:

  1. I am definitely a pet person. Our current big dog is not much of a dancer, but he sure loves playtime. I agree with your link between God and pets. Several years ago, my wife's very elderly grandfather was not doing well mentally at all. He decided that getting a dog would be a good idea (his wife had died) so he found a friend at his local humane society. The positive change in him was almost immediate. They have been best friends now for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanette! Awww..what a cute picture you have painted with your words! A little dance party with your pooch :)
    I am not much of an animal person, I am allergic, and didn't grow up with them, so maybe I would be a little more like your husband than you. But I can appreciate the joy in dancing, and having a good partner (two feet or four!). Give your doggie a kiss for me and off you go to Celtic Thunder!
    Love that!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kitties went to kitty heaven a long time ago. Since Beloved was allergic, I never got more.

    Abraham weighed a ton, so dancing was out of the question. Sarah would probably have clawed the skin off my arms. She was not nearly as docile as your fur babies. Still, we had enjoyable times together. Sarah would hang on the back of the couch and purr in my ear, while Abraham cuddled next to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so cute. Very good analogy about loving pets giving us the practice to better love humans. :-) It's true. We have a granddog that we love - a mild-mannered dauchsund who loves to burrow. We snuggle quite a bit with her. It's the best!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.