Friday, April 26, 2013

Searching for Healthy Snacks



 
 
When I asked my lovely, sweet friend, Diana Savage--who looks a decade younger than her birth certificate says--what her favorite healthy snacks were, her response was varied:

 
~ air-popped popcorn, drizzled with a little extra-virgin olive oil and parmesan cheese
~ a small handful of mixed nuts
~ an un-skinned apple, cored and cut into wedges, then sprinkled with cinnamon
~ one toasted slice of homemade whole-grain bread with peanut butter and raisins or dried cranberries on top
~ a small bowl of plain Greek yogurt with honey (or Splenda, for those fighting Candida), topped with sliced fresh fruit and homemade granola
 


Then I called on my Facebook friends to ask what they reached for when a munchy moment snuck up on them. Here are a few of their comments:
 
apples and peanut butter

 
Cruskit biscuits topped with low-fat cottage cheese, smoked salmon (or roast chicken breast) and avocado.
 

Garlic hummus and pita bread.
 

love sugar snap peas. And organic dark chocolate. But not with the peas. Usually.

 
Plain popcorn... altho' I prefer it salted and buttered, which isn't so healthy.
 
 

Raisins and walnuts. Beyond that my eating habits say I shouldn't have lived past twelve.
 

Frozen banana chunks blended with peanut butter, vanilla. cocoa and a little milk. Really thick chocolate shake. all healthy!

Almonds. And I like mozzarella cheese sticks, too

Does dark chocolate count? Okay, fresh raspberries then!
 

No way Adam and Eve ate forbidden fruit. It was chocolate, cookies, ice cream, and ding dongs, I'm sure of it.

Pretty much any veg i can get in my hand. Raised with garden in back yard and if we wanted a snack it was go to the garden and get something. Raw potatoes with the skin are my favs.
 

"Healthy snacks" is almost an oxymoron. Haha. Cashews are my favorite snack.

 

Really dark chocolate is good for the heart! God made all things good and chocolate is my favorite
 

 
And what is your favorite healthy snack?
 

8 comments:

  1. These are great! Fresh fruits are usually my go-to snacks, and lately, I'm always craving pomegranates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fruits are my favorite snack, and string cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty much any of the above! Hubby and I recently are into pistachios, too......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay. I need to eat healthier. Since I can't say pistachio ice cream is my favorite, I'll say apples and peanut butter. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Chex mix.I also like white grapes. Pop corn'does't like me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was eating raw nuts before a stomach virus hit back in January. I haven't returned to my healthy eating habits unless you count eating a banana in the afternoon a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like a handful of almonds. They are so yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.