Monday, April 20, 2009

Be Still My Soul

I spoke with excitement to my friend, Loretta. I enthused about the tremendous writers’ conference I had attended, the selling of a humor article to one of the editors there, and my commitment to write one hour a day. My words splashed out, filling the front seat of her car as we travelled to lunch.

“I am thrilled for you,” Loretta said, “But I feel strongly that you’re to do something more than writing each day.” A holy quiet embraced me. My heart picked up its beat. Because she chose each word carefully, I sensed the Holy Spirit was about to speak through Loretta. God usually tiptoes in when He has something significant to say. He rarely hollers and waves His arms. I shut up and listened.

“In order to write well, Jeanette, you need to spend time simply sitting still. Part of your ministry of communicating God’s love to people will be in those moments you are listening. You can’t hear from God unless you are quiet.”

Wow.

I knew the Lord was not chiding me for talking too much. He was simply telling me to listen more. I already know everything I know. If I want to take His message of hope to sagging hearts, I must be still with Him long enough to fill my own sagging heart.
I know it was God who spoke through Loretta last Saturday morning. Yet, practicing what He preached will not be easy. I was born talking, working, and trying to motivate others. How can I change from a ‘human doing’ to a ‘human being’?

The same way I was born again. By His potent, loving grace. ---Jen

6 comments:

  1. What a great reminder! I consider writing my ministry, something God has called me to do in order to minister to others. But how can I share about Him if I rarely take the time to let Him fill me. Thank you for sharing how the Holy Spirit spoke to you, because now He is speaking through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jody:
    Thanks for the kudos.
    This is one of my biggest challenges, to remember WHY I write, and for WHOM. It's not about me, but HIM.
    Blessings on your ministry,
    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like great advice! Def. something I should work on.
    I love your new pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jessie. I'm so glad the lipstick on my teeth didn't show up! LOL!!!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice. I love the verse, Be still and know that I am God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, T. Anne.
    I like that verse, too. If only I could remember to practice it! I do fine in the early morning, it's when I get to work and get busy that i tend to set it aside...
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.