Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Caution: May Contain Nuts

If you've ever gone to the store for two items and ended up with a cartful, you may enjoy this nutty poem I wrote as a result of a prompt for my writing group.

I just went in for milk and bread,
I never meant to lose my head,
But by the time I’d reached the door
My cart was dragging on the floor.

“What happened?” cried my shaken spouse,
“You bought enough to fill a house!”
“But honey, dog food was on sale
And I couldn’t pass up half price kale!

Just look at these socks with rainbow toes,
And polka dot tissues to blow your nose!
I had to buy snow cones, three for ten,
And chicken livers to feed Uncle Ben,

Who loves to pop in unannounced, you know,
I’ll feed him persimmons—just look how they glow!”
I grinned and I gloated, I basked in delight,
That I’d found such bargains for our budget tight.


Did it really matter we didn’t have dogs?
Or despised that ol’ kale? We’d feed neighbor’s hogs!
I guess I’d forgotten poor Uncle Ben’s passing,
But fried chicken livers would be such a blessing


At the next carry-in on our 5th Sunday dinner,
As a shopper, no doubt, I reigned as the winner!


JEL, 05/04/2010

18 comments:

  1. lol...that was so cute! I cannot write poetry to save my life and always admire people who can! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and catchy! And yep, relatable. I've been there, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious....I so relate!
    Hope you are having an awesome day. Hugs,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep...captured every shopping trip I've had.

    Oh..Jeanette. I'm sending you an invite to my private blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen:
    Downright precious. I'm glad you found a writing group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen -

    Way too close to reality... LOL!

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! And you know, so close to the truth sometimes, oh my. Except I would skip the liver:P

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA!!! I can relate to the tight budget ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute poem! I wouldn't be tempted by the chicken livers but I almost always come out of a store with more than I went in for, so this made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was fun, and definitely something I can identify with! Thanks for a laugh today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol.....been there done that. Lovely poem giving tribute to our "sale" attitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL YOu are so good!! Sounds like me in the store some days:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute poem and easy to relate to. Poems are difficult, I've tried some. You did very well. I especially enjoyed the humor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come over to my blog when you get a chance and check it out. God bless, Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have several MORE urgent prayer requests at arise 2 write. andrea

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.