Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Favorite Home Remedies and Tips



Just Try Bathing a Cat!
 
When I moved from Los Angeles to rural Illinois fourteen years ago, I learned about some home remedies I'd never heard of before:

If someone in your family is allergic to cat dander and you adopt a stray kitten, you can alleviate the dander by bathing the cat in distilled water. Have you ever tried to bathe a cat, especially a stray? How did that work out for you?


Really? I can make my cookies at home?

When baking several different kinds of cookies, first bake those calling for lower temperatures, then work up to the highest setting. You mean a person can bake their own cookies? The little elves don't bake them during the night, then put them on the shelves in the store before the sun comes up? Aha.

If you get a splinter, put a bit of bacon on it to draw it out. This might have worked fine if the splinter I acquired hadn't gone in at an angle, and if I didn't work at the front desk of a bank, where customers thought we had added to our "Super Extra Checking" by making breakfast for them!

Do you employ home remedies? What is your favorite from the list above, or one of your own?

P.S. The winner of my drawing for Chicken Soup for the Soul Devotional Stories for Wives is Karen Lange from Write Now! Thank you, all who entered, and congratulations, Karen! I will mail your book out after September 10, the official release date.

7 comments:

  1. My favorite remedy is using a piece of frosted Scotch Tape instead of a band aid for a paper cut. Takes the sting out immediately and there is usually a roll handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jen! Looking forward to reading the book! Love your home remedies. Among my favorites are using a mixture of vinegar and dish soap as a shower cleaner (half parts each, shake well). I've also made homemade laundry detergent, which works just as well as my favorite store bought brand. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A teaspoon or so of "real" pumpkin from a can - for doggie stomach upsets. It really works on both problems for dogs, and benefits the coat with a shine. I don't know if it works on cats...lol.

    The splinter and bacon is hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the cookies I've baked aren't quite as soft as I'd like them to be, I put a piece of bread in the container I'm storing them in. It softens them right up. Same goes for brown sugar that has gotten hard in the canister on my counter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to Karen!

    I have a friend who is always telling me of a home remedy she has heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the cutest article, Jeanette. I love how you make me laugh. God bless you for sharing the laughter. As for home remedies...vinegar on sunburn? How about that? the water from Boiled and soaked lemon rinds as a natural flea spray, and who knows what all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite home remedy is one for headaches: drink hot water (as hot as you can tolerate) with a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of lemon juice.

    Also, when I feel a head cold coming on, I drink hot milk (again, as hot as you can stand it) with two tablespoons of honey.

    Be well. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.