Tuesday, October 2, 2018

A Surefire way to Predict Winter Weather

The Woolly Worm Report

drawing copyright Ron Levellie
Did you know there is a surefire way to predict winter weather? According to early American folklore, you can forecast the harshness of an upcoming winter by examining the brown band around a wooly worm’s middle. The thinner the brownish red band, the harsher winter will be.  
flikr image
But I have my own methods.  As we go on a walk up the country lane near our home at Nevins and I spot a wooly worm scooting across the pavement, I’ll note its coloration. If it’s dark brown or black, representing the bare earth, I predict a mild winter with no snow. If it’s orange—a happy, warm color—I maintain the upcoming winter will be warmer than usual. And if the wooly worm is white or tan, I report that winter will be fast and fun, with snowfall only on Christmas Eve.

Scientific? Hardly. Accurate? Rarely. But my overly biased wooly worm reports make us laugh every time. And giggles help us get through the long, freezing months better than gripes.  I imagine even the wooly worms laugh. At me. 


I may not be able to predict the weather, but I’m convinced that the Apostle John predicted accurately when he told us Jesus is coming soon. I hope you and I will spend eternity together with Him, in that lovely city where every day is bright, and every wooly worm gives a sunny report.

The above is an excerpt from my book The Heart of Humor: Sixty Helpings of Hilarity to Nourish Your Soul, a combination of funny stories and articles on how humor helps.

Do you like Winter? Or Summer? 

2 comments:

  1. Over here, we surmise that, if the wooly worm has a heavy coat, we will have a cold winter. The thickness of the coat corresponds to our needing to bundle up. Peace and Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I have never studied wooly worms that much, but maybe you have a point. We try to predict here in The Netherlands, but it always turns out different (God's way of saying 'I am in charge' I assume).

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.