Tuesday, October 9, 2018

In search of healthy snacks




 When I asked my lovely, sweet friend, Diana Savage--who looks a decade younger than her birth certificate says--what her favorite healthy snacks were, her response was varied:

~ air-popped popcorn, drizzled with a little extra-virgin olive oil and parmesan cheese
~ a small handful of mixed nuts
~ an un-skinned apple, cored and cut into wedges, then sprinkled with cinnamon
~ one toasted slice of homemade whole-grain bread with peanut butter and raisins or dried cranberries on top
~ a small bowl of plain Greek yogurt with honey (or Splenda, for those fighting Candida), topped with sliced fresh fruit and homemade granola

Then I called on my Facebook friends to ask what they reached for when a munchy moment snuck up on them. Here are a few of their comments: 
  • Apple slices spread with peanut butter
  • Cruskit biscuits topped with low-fat cottage cheese, smoked salmon (or roast chicken breast) and avocado.
  • Garlic hummus and pita bread.
  • Sugar snap peas. And organic dark chocolate. But not with the peas. Usually.
  • Plain popcorn... altho' I prefer it salted and buttered, which isn't so healthy.

  •  Raisins and walnuts. Beyond that my eating habits say I shouldn't have lived past twelve.
  •  Frozen banana chunks blended with peanut butter, vanilla. cocoa and a little milk. Really thick  chocolate shake. all healthy!
  •  Almonds. And I like mozzarella cheese sticks, too
  •  Does dark chocolate count? Okay, fresh raspberries then!



No way Adam and Eve ate forbidden fruit. It was chocolate, cookies, ice cream, and ding dongs, I'm sure of it.

My favorites? 

  • Apricots, 
  • muenster cheese, 
  • popcorn, 
  • dark chocolate sweetened with stevia or honeyIn , and 
  • almonds 

And what is your favorite healthy snack?

P.S. Because I am in Rye, New York this week at the Guidepost Writers Workshop. I may be late in responding to your comments. I thank you very much for your prayers that I retain all I'm learning and be a blessing to the other participants. 



2 comments:

  1. I find myself eating the "Balanced Break: combination of certain kinds of cheese cubes, nuts(I like the one with cashews) and dried cranberries. You can get these with chopped walnuts or almonds. I got the last two kinds of nuts by mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My snack? Patat with mayonnaise :-) But... it isn't healthy so I have to choose raisins, cashew nuts and baked banana.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.