Tuesday, June 5, 2012

3 Ways Blogging Helps You Become a More Likable Friend

If you’ve blogged for more than a month, I bet you've noticed 3 important factors that are helping you become a better conversationalist, and a more likable friend. But just in case...

      1.     The more concise your post, the more comments you receive.  Most bloggers visit dozens of blogs a day. They don’t have time to read and comment on long posts.  

       As you exercise self-control in writing tight, short posts, this discipline slips over into your real life. You find yourself getting to the point you want to make in fewer words, thus leaving room for others to chat, showing them the respect they need.  

2.      Asking questions at the end of each post involves your reader, and makes them feel important. You can talk about your vacation to Colorado for 1000 words, or give us a 200-word run-down and then ask, “Where have you vacationed that you’d love to return to?”
If you ask questions of your friends while you visit with them, they feel important. They are important. But now they want to hang out with you because you showed an interest in them.
 

      3.      You learn more by listening than talking. When you visit others’ blogs, you pick up trends and tips that help you, whether it’s a new recipe for chicken chests or a link to help you market your book.

         So it is with conversations. You already know everything   you know. So, the more you listen, the more you learn. And grow. And become a more interesting person.
 

Did I leave anything out? How has blogging helped you become a better conversationalist? Any vacations planned for this summer?

23 comments:

  1. You are so right! I have learned to be more brief--and stick to the point when conversing--I used to talk and talk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get told I ask a lot of questions! I could still learn to talk less though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Questions are great; I read where Mr. Rogers used to ask a lot of questions of his friends, so you are in good company, Lynn!

      Delete
  3. I love your tips on this subject. I'm a natural born listener. I do learn a lot by listening.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like to make my post concise but I struggle with making sense:) My vacation plans depend on when my son comes to visit us while he is on leave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I know people are all about Facebook and Twitter these days, which is fine, but I still love blogs. You can learn so much more about people and really feel like you're building relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's why I love to blog, too, Cindy. I've learned so much and grown as a person and a writer.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a blogger, but I keep up with several. You always make me feel welcome when I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you, Barb! You are one of my best cheerleaders!

      Delete
  7. I've learned through blogging that putting information in list format makes for easier reading, especially on cellphones or tablets, thus bolstering conversation.

    Also, one thing I appreciate about the comments I receive on my posts is that people point out angles to my topics that I had not considered. It's always interesting to get different perspectives on a subject, listen, and grow.

    Great points. Smoooches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Janette. The easier we can make it to read, the more people will enter in. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Great points, Jen! Love the correlation with conversations, too. You are one smart lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogging has made me more aware of the passage of time. I advance post and I have to have a calendar on my desk to record when a certain post will publish.

    Vacations are different lately. Tomorrow, we are going down to where Jim grew up and go fishing. Yesterday, I bought a fishing license for the first time in my life . Might be down there two days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always appreciate your advice to write tight! And I agree that it's important to ask a question to engage your readers. Vacations? None planned for the summer, as we were blessed to be able to go to South Africa and Hawaii earlier this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria: Oh, my goodness, those are contrasting vacations, but I'm so happy for you!

      Delete
  11. My one exception to the short and sweet rule is author interviews. I do break up long interviews into multiple posts. They're easier to digest.

    Great advice! I never thought about how blogging would affect your conversation skills.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great advice for all of us to keep in mind.

    I think when people write as blogging is totally one-sided, they struggle. I love bloggers that engage with readers.

    Nice meeting you!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.