Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Five Ways Memorizing Scripture Enriches Your Life


Five Ways Memorizing Scripture Enriches Your Life

When I began memorizing single verses of Scripture as a child in Sunday school, I had no idea how I was enriching my life. Decades later, after graduating to learning chunks and chapters of the Word of God, I see the benefits of this fun exercise. Here are the five I've discovered:
1.      Because our brains are like a muscle, the more we exercise them the stronger they become. Memorizing Scripture increases our ability to retain other facts and tasks we learn. It improves our memory!

2.      In Joshua 1:8, God promised to “make our ways successful” if we meditated on His word.  The translation of the word “meditate” is “to mutter,” or “to chew, as a cow chews its cud.” When we memorize—or chew on—verses or sections of the Bible, our lives become more successful!

3.      If we “hide God’s word in our hearts,” according to Psalm 119: 11, it keeps us from sinning. That’s reason enough for me to work at memorizing the parts about taming the tongue and keeping my flesh under control!
4.      Knowing the Bible gives us boldness to witness to those who don’t yet believe.  We’re more likely to have answers for pre-believers with questions if we have a few verses about Jesus and salvation tucked away in our minds.
5.      The Word of God comforts, encourages, and strengthens us when we go through trials. If I’m broken-hearted or in anguish of soul, Scripture is my #1 source of help. As I pray, verses I've memorized come up from my heart and out my mouth to God’s heart. I find my faith growing and my fears leaving. The Holy Spirit shows up to embrace me and tell me, “God’s got your back. Everything is going to be okay.”

Next week I'll be sharing some tricks to memorizing Scripture that have helped me. I hope you'll join me!

Have you memorized Scripture verses or passages?

Which ones have enriched your life the most?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jeanette - Yes, I've memorized scripture verses over the years. During times of stress, a verse or even a chapter will come to mind. I remember a minister saying that even though you may think you forgot something you memorized, it's in your spirit and the Holy Spirit can bring it to your remembrance. Happy New Year, Susan :) P.S. I'm going to share this post on Friday, 2/17/17.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, Susan, as we never truly forget anything we put in our "file cabinet" brains! Encouraging and scary all at once!
      Thanks for commenting, and Happy New Year to you! I appreciate you sharing this,
      Jen

      Delete
  2. Yes, I have memorized scriptures, not intentionally maybe, but I have read them so many times that they stayed with me :) Hmmm, a favorite one.... 'delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart'.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, it's YOU! I'm so happy to see you here today, and look forward to reading your comments.